read it ... ribbit ribbit ribbit

Saturday, February 25, 2006



DUO LUO TIAN SHI (Fallen Angels)
1995
Dir. Wong Kar Wai
Cast: Takeshi Kaneshiro, Leon Lai, Michelle Reis, Karen Mok

I admit it that I am a Wong Kar Wai fanatic and now here is another feature from the famous auteur. This film is also known as Fallen Angels. I just felt like sharing this wonderful film with you as it captures things I am worried about, it is a manifestation of certain circumstances I am going through of the late.




So here, there is the character Wong Chi Ming (played by Leon Lai) who is a killer and whose character I’m going to focus on. And I quote his wonderful line from the movie:

“The best thing about my job is that there’s no need to make any decision.
Who’s to die… when… where… it’s all been planned by others.
I like people to arrange things for me. That’s why I need a partner.”

If you take it literally, it implies that in his line of work he chose it as it doesn’t require him to rely too much on reason for decision making is tough like to the extent of choosing between emotion or . In Wong Chi Ming’s point of view, he believes it is better to have a partner do things for you and all you have to do is do what is asked of you. They do the thinking, he does the labor. Taking it beyond the literal, when he says he needs a partner it readily suggests dependence. And with dependence the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche has a strong dislike of. Wong Chi Ming practices dependence which also comes hand in hand with weakness; without a partner he is handicapped.



Now, you may think I am not making any sense. Well, let me put it this way. Regarding Wong, I find his condition similar to many. I often encounter these kinds of individuals and they often piss me off. I admit that I do have friends like this and it saddens me that they are afraid to think and re-evaluate things.

Suppose I say that I do not conform to the norms of this society (in this regard Philippine Society) and that I adhere to norms that are based on my own ideals, there are a couple of synonyms that come out of people’s mouths…demented, insane, and absurd. What is wrong with many people readily accept things like the law that is universalized. What is wrong with universalization? A lot. It is highly problematic as it is unacceptable because how can one imply the same rule on the other when we are all subject to our own biases. In line with this, things like Christianity also come across. In the Anti-Christ, Nietzsche talks about how Christianity creates this insane code of ethics. Such a religion has led us all into having artificial behavior meant to impress others such as humility and self sacrifice which for me is impossible. Wong Chi Ming displays this tendency among human beings. Taking it beyond the literal and the obvious, many are blind for they do not see the benefit of the doubt. Like the character played by Leon Lai, I could liken his stand as those people who follow the rules of the Catholic Church as they are. They take her instructions verbatim. In that regard, they are lazy because when you look at it, which is easier to think and reevaluate things or simply accept something that is there? Of course that is taking what is already there. If one goes a step further it would be something unassuming and unpredictable which makes it hard unlike believing in the Church, it is all readily made. Think of it cooking pasta, it is like choosing whether you will do it the usual way (the long step by step one) or an instant 5 minute packed one. Christianity is simply like an instant meal you get from convenience stores, it is already there and it is more convenient.

Going back to having your own set of ideals and claiming that you have you your own ideal society that is extant within your mind, once you start telling some conformist or lazy individual then they would easily conclude that you are insane. What’s worse is that some would even say you are hallucinating. In my case this made me realize that I aim to grasp the harder as Rilke always comes at the tip of my tongue; “trust in the difficult.” I know I am still far from being the Ubermensch or achieving the Will to Power but at least I have made my attempt and started my quest. Someone told me I am crazy with regards saying that I do not conform to society and have my own rendition of it…my answer to this is that I have seen things in a new light and never again will I be an automaton for any institution.

Fallen Angels is really a satisfying treat for me. The music, the cinematography, mis-en-scene…I loved it all. While watching it, my mom was telling me that there’s actually nothing happening (this is the effect of Institutionalization, she’s more likely to watch Hollywood movies which narrate everything [thanks to David Bordwell for the Classical Hollywood theory!] and requires little thinking!) but I went on watching it. Now, setting aside my philosophical insights on this film, I feel like channeling Leon Lai’s look here…effortless cool! And then I am still in some sort of wonder if Takeshi Kaneshiro’s character here had anything to do with the cop named Wu in Wong Kar Wai’s earlier offering Chungking Express. Michelle Reis had this really captivating presence on screen. I guess Wong Kar Wai IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY. His movies require a refined taste and an interest in the vague.

Director Wong Kar Wai has often raised the issue of morality and often uses non linear story telling which I think is really effective so as not to bore the spectator. At one point he enables the viewer the perspective of this character; one after the other. What I like about his characters is that they are not typical, in a way there seems to be a part of them that seem to be fighting a system (like society or tradition). They are fashioned to become unconventional and could be shocking to the point that you are driven onto their own subjectivity. Even the slightest flicker of the eye in his movie would pretty much make much sense.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me it is good idea. I agree with you.

11:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position.

1:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home