read it ... ribbit ribbit ribbit

Sunday, March 26, 2006




And Vogue Says So


I would just like to plug something here, there is this book I would want you guys to look out for and it looks intriguing as well as interesting enough for me. I’m so friggin’ curious that I would also want to share this all hyped up curiosity I’m experiencing.



In the October 2005 issue of Vogue, Megan O’Grady writes in “Amours fous” about a book entitled Tete-a-Tete by Hazel Rowley. It chronicles what many consider as the greatest literary love story of the twentieth century. The story behind Sartre and Beauvoir’s unconventional affair must be really interesting. The beginning, the outcomes, the in-betweens, the exploits and so many others condensed in one of the season’s best books.

Speaking of existentialism, I suddenly remembered what Ms. Leslie (my Intphil prof) talking about the relationship of Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. She mentioned that after de Beauvoir died, her letters to Sartre were published and boy-oh-boy! I saw the book at Fully Booked-Promenade, Greenhills. It is really thick and I was close to buying it but the only thing that hindered me from getting that book is that I happen to be lusting at the same time for a pair of Marc Jacobs lace-ups (here I go again…another pair of shoes on my priority list). Setting aside the Marc Jacobs, the book was kind of pricey 950 bucks but anyways its relatively cheaper than me buying a quarter of an inch thick Rilke at 700 bucks. Well, if I am fortunate…I would really by that book.



I am thinking that if I get that book, I would satisfy the chismoso, gossip-seeker in me and enjoy it for weeks. Anyways, I think the Tete-a-tete would be a better buy so I will just have to wait for it to hit Philippine shores.

Lastly, I go talking about something that happens to be coincidental…the Frenchmen whom I happen to adore and idolize seem to have the same names- Jean Paul.

1. Jean Paul Sartre
> this man made me rethink the way I am living my life (seriously)

2. Jean Paul Leaud
> of Antoine Doinel fame and Truffaut’s Les Quatre Cents Coups…I’ve always like his discreet acting style since The 400 Blows and even now he continues to wow film fanatics. Well I ought to check his other films like Irma Vep with Maggie Cheung!

3. Jean Paul Gaultier
> of couture fame and reinvented Hérmes…this guy brightens up the City of Lights.
J’adore Gaultier…c’est magnifique!

P.S.

I’m thinking if there is a possibility of what you call “intellectual gossip” because of these things I’ve been encountering of the late.

The Sartre and Beaver affair = intellectual gossip. (laughs~)

Anyways, I’m kidding

(NOTE: Images are taken from http://www.rohwolt.de)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home